Thursday 1 November 2018

Ways to Glorify God Via Your Social Media.

Today I will be sharing three things that we can all do to transform our social media from being just another worldly platform where we judge, rant, gossip and spew hate, into a more positive space which glorifies God and clearly shows Him working in our daily lives.
So what are the three things we can do?

Show your followers that you’re a Christian; be unashamed:

One of the easiest ways to use your social media for God’s glory is to proclaim that He is (your) Lord and profess your Christianity. Some people choose to do this in their bio section, whilst others choose to show it by the type of content they share and engage with. But the point is, whichever way you decide to show and tell the world that you’re a Christian, make sure you do. The worst thing is for you to blend into what society deems as the norm even when it clearly contradicts with your faith. You don’t want people to be genuinely shocked that you’re a Christian. It should already be really obvious by the lifestyle you portray online.
For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes–the Jew first and also the Gentile. – Romans 1:16

Avoid “highlight reel culture”; share your successes and your failures:

Wunms, “what is highlight reel culture?” I hear you ask. Well, these days social media has become a place where we turn to in order to escape real life. This is because we often find images of perceived perfection on social media. We are quick to run and share our highs but very hush-hush when it comes to sharing or admitting our lows. This is quite normal to be honest, I don’t expect or even recommend that anyone should treat the Internet like it’s their personal diary. However, I do believe that there are benefits to documenting your real life rather than just creating a fallacy of your life online.
One really simple way of avoiding highlight reel culture is to share both your highs as well as how God brought you out of or how God is bringing you out of your lows on your social media. For example, if you’re a regular reader of my blog you’ll already know that I was unemployed for a really long time and I documented my journey into finding a job after university. I could have just posted a standard photo of myself in my new job, amassed lots of “likes” and you wouldn’t have known the tears, pressure and struggle that I had to endure before the “reward”. I’ve shared my struggles with passing my driving test (more to come on that soon); I’ve shared how celibacy is really difficult for me but yet God is teaching me patience and purity; I’ve shared how I overcame body insecurities through finding my identity in Christ etc. And I will continue to share not just when my life is “perfect”, but also the difficult lessons that God uses to mould me, so that no matter what, He will still be glorified.
And lastly, if you are going to feed into highlight reel culture, definitely make sure you thank God for your success! As I’ve said, it isn’t a bad thing to share your good news on social media, but posting it to glorify ourselves makes us conceited and takes away the focus from the source of our success, which is God.
Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. – Romans 5:3-4

Be someone’s daily bread; fill your followers up with the Word:

Last but certainly not the least, you can glorify God on your social media by sharing the Word of God. This is probably the easiest thing to do because you don’t have to search your brain for something to say… the Bible speaks loudly and clearly for itself.
We don’t all read our Bible as often as we should, myself included. Therefore if I share a Bible verse that has spoken to me, it could literally be someone’s source of encouragement for the day. Or it could be the only biblical teaching they see all week. It could encourage someone to pick up their Bible, or to pray, or go to church, or to seek God for themselves. You’d really be surprised what God can do through you just sharing one scripture on your social media.
Publish His glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things He does. – Psalm 96:3

Thanks for reading guys! I hope this has given us all something important to meditate on today and going forward. I’m really passionate about being set apart as Christians and not being suckered into the ugly side of social media. Social media in itself is amazing and I use it every day (literally, it’s my job even outside of blogging). But if we’re going to spend so much time on here, let’s make it count for God.

God bless you!
Wunms,United Kingdom.
The Christyle Blogger! 
( First Published on Wumns' Blog.)

No comments:

All Rights Reserved ©Johnstone Terkuma Kpilaakaa 2020 . Powered by Blogger.