Friday 19 October 2018

Girls: We Can Also Do It!

*To the GIRL CHILD*

Imagine how much more advanced the society would be if women who comprise half  the world's brain power, were socially and intellectually enfranchised from the beginning of Civilization.- Prince Ponfa Miri

To the girl child, you're stronger than you think.

The Bible states clearly that God created the woman(female) to be a helper to man (male). Come to think of it, who's actually stronger? The woman (helper)  or the man (helped). I'll leave that for you to ponder on but have this in mind, one who helps is stronger than the one helped.

Just because they say it's a  world ruled by men that doesn't mean we can't aim to rule the world. Anyways I believe that will happen.

I frown at the way girls are being raped day in day out; girls as young as 3years, thereby crashing their self-esteem. I frown at how girls are denied involvement in conversations that determine their future.
I frown at the fact that girls are not allowed to talk in some meetings, they just sit to listen because they are "female" and cannot contribute. I frown when the society sees victims of sexual assault as normal or when the society fixate in the mind of young girls that no matter what they do they'll still end up in the kitchen.
I frown at some parents who believe and instill in their girls that they have nothing to offer to the society. I frown at practices where during certain times girls are not to be shook or hugged. I frown at the many other ills against the girl child.

From all these and more, I can tell you that it all falls back to the mindset. The mindset of; the society, our parents, our male counterparts and the girl child.

One of my SMART goals  is to change this narrative; change this wrong mindset. The mindset that's eating deep into the fabrics of the society. The mindset  that keeps the girl child at number 2 always. The mindset that girls are not worthy of certain positions in the society. The mindset that the girl child is meant to end up in the kitchen. The mindset that girls abused cannot participate actively in societal development; the stigmatization.

To the girls who have lost faith in themselves because of what the society have made them believe about themselves,  I'm boldly saying you're strong, you can make a difference!

To the girls who've been faced with many challenges or issues and have not backed out or given up on life, keep the faith alive!

To all the ladies inspiring and innovating all over the world, keep soaring!

To the parents who at every moment tend to remind their girls always that the kitchen is their place; your daughters can go beyond the kitchen.

To the society that has instilled the mindset of mediocrity to the girl child; it's high time the narrative is rewritten.

To our male counterparts, there is a competition coming up.


When you train a woman you train a nation.

I'm a girl
I'm strong
I can achieve anything I want to achieve, I just have to believe.
It's not a mistake I was born a girl, I'm happy and proud.

Okoko Patricia writes from Jos, Nigeria!

** In commemoration of Johnstone's blog associate editor's ( Okoko Patricia) birthday!
We at the blog celebrate and appreciate your sacrifices! Happy Birthday Ma'am.

No comments:

All Rights Reserved ©Johnstone Terkuma Kpilaakaa 2020 . Powered by Blogger.